Village of Tony
In 1885, the Soo Line Railroad was built through Tony, which at that time was known as Deer Trail. However, the town didn’t boom until the John Hein Co. moved to Deer Trail in 1897. The town was later renamed Tony after Hein’s son, Anthony.
In addition to operating the mill, the Hein Co. owned most of the town, ran its businesses, and operated its own railroad, the Tony & North Eastern. By the early 1900’s the town’s population was 400.
Tony is home to the School District of Flambeau, which serves the Sheldon, Conrath, Ingram, Tony and Glen Flora areas.
Sportsmen will want to stop in Tony on their way to Josie Creek County Park, just north of the village on County Road X. At the park, located where Josie Creek flows into Lake Flambeau, fisherman will find good catches of walleye, musky, crappie, and smallmouth bass. The park also houses three firearm ranges and an archery target trail.